Dear Local Program Registrars:
Thank you for being such an important part of USA Hockey. Without your efforts, hockey would have greater difficulty in growing in the USA.
As you know, there had been a change approved by our Board to change the regular playing season and registration period from Sept 1 through August 31.
The change in the regular playing season was approved in an effort to satisfy the needs of our member programs, provide an opportunity for new members to try hockey during the summer months and to simplify the registration process for individuals and programs. Unfortunately, the change in the regular playing season was perceived by some as a shortening of the registration period resulting in an appearance of overlapping registrations
The USA Hockey Board of Directors has approved an October 31 decision that provides a solution that meets the above goals while eliminating concerns.
The solution is:
- Return to the September 1-August 31 regular playing season and registration period for all renewing memberships.
- Open online registration for the upcoming season April 1 for registration for all members (this is an important need for many of our local programs.)
- Membership for new members is effective from the date of registration with full benefits, including insurance, when participating with a member program.
- Membership for all participants will be the period ending August 31st of the regular playing season for which they are registering.
- The benefit of the above approach is that all new members can complete registration for a member program as early as April 1 without having to register again on September 1 of the same year. Of course, renewing members will be able to register as early as April 1 for the following September 1 season, easing the administration for our hockey programs.
- For example, a new member registering from April 1 through August 31 will receive membership throughout the summer months along with a full season registration from September 1 through August 31. When a renewing member whose current registration is in place through August 31 is directed by their program to register early (between April 1 and August 31), they will be registering for the upcoming season of September 1 through August 31.
What this means to your program
- 2009-10 season registrations are valid through August 31, 2010
- Online registration will be available for 2010-11 beginning April 1, 2010
- Registration software for the 2010-11 season will be available in May 2010
- Registrations processed from April 1 through August 31 will allow that participant to register in a current season program and in a 'next season' program. In other words, your 2009-10 software will accept 2010-11 confirmation numbers.
- Programs have the option to operate through the summer months using either the 2009-10 or 2010-11 software.
This solution helps our programs register participants as early as is necessary while addressing concerns expressed by some participants. If you have any questions or need additional information please contact Rae Briggle at firstname.lastname@example.org
Thanks for all you do for your program and the great sport of hockey.